'This is not a romance - I have too often faced the music of life to the tune of hardship to waste time in snivelling and gushing over fancies and dreams; neither is it a novel, but simply a yarn - a real yarn. Oh!' - Miles Franklin, My Brilliant Career
- First published in 1901, this Australian classic is the candid tale of the aspirations and frustrations of sixteen-year-old Sybylla Melvin, a headstrong country girl constrained by middle-class social arrangements, especially the pressure to marry.
- Trapped on her parents' outback farm, Sybylla simultaneously loves bush life and hates the physical burdens it imposes.
- She longs for a more refined lifestyle - to read, to think, to sing - but most of all to do great things.
- Suddenly her life is transformed when she is whisked away to live on her grandmother's gracious property. There Sybylla falls under the eye of the rich and handsome Harry Beecham.
- Soon she finds herself choosing between everything a conventional life offers and her own plans for a 'brilliant career'.
Size (cm): 20 x 13 x 1.5
Every purchase supports ACMI.